Tuesday September 6th, 2011
Gwangju Design Biennale
Korea, 6 September 2011
Micronaut is proud to announce his contribution to the '4th Gwangju Design Biennale', on nomination by Ai Weiwei, the prominent Chinese artist and Artistic Director of the event.
Set to be one of the most compelling design events of the year, Asias oldes design festival is expecting more than half a million visitors over the next two months.
The Biennale features installations of 130 selected artists, such as: Herzog & DeMeuron (Architecture), Howard Schatz & Beverly Ornstein (Photography), the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Science and Technology), or Ai Weiwei (FIELD).
David vs. Goliath (PNAS Cover)
Washington DC, 7 September 2011
Despite its limited size, the tiny stomach bacterium Helicobacter pylori is one of the biggest risk factors for gastric cancer. The research lab of Prof. Anne Mueller and colleagues from the University of Zurich have now identified a mechanism how the pathogen induces DNA double-strand breaks in human stomach cells - leading to increased cell death, mutations and cancer.
To get a glimpse on the interaction between pathogen and host cells, the scientists have collaborated with Micronaut. The resultant image shows human stomach cancer cells which are heavily infected with Helicobacter pylori. The image has now been published on the cover of the 'Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)'.
Image of the Month
The new 'Image of the Month' is now on display. check it out!
Hmm... the news you're looking for can't be found? Enter a keyword(s) in the search field at Micronaut.ch, or try one of the following links:
- 26 August 2011: Exhibition - International Images for Science
- 4 July 2011: Micronavigating between Science+Art
- 15 June 2011: A swimming beauty - Superhydrophobic surfaces
- 1 April 2011: National Geographic: Coloring by Structure
- 6 March 2011: Polliversum - a monumentary work
- 20 December 2010: Award for Outstanding Scientific Photography
- 21 November 2010: International Photography Awards
- 5 September 2010: National Geographic - Exquisite Castaways
- 1 August 2010: Switzerland Calling